So, here in the US we ended Daylight Savings Time at 2am on Sunday Morning. We set our clocks back and gained an hour back from when we set them forward in the Spring. Fall Back and Spring Forward and every year when we fall back there are eight things that I have made a habit of doing when we do Fall back. I’ll share them with you here.
1. Change all the batteries in all your smoke detectors and your carbon dioxide detector. It’s so easy to just forget that these are on the walls and forget to change the batteries. If you make this a habit it will keep you safe.
2. Clean your oven before you start all your holiday baking and cooking.
3. Do you have any unused plumbing areas in your home? If you run hot water in them for five to ten minutes it will clear out the pipes and keep them smelling sweet.
4. Sweep out the garage floor before the weather turns cold and wet and mud and snow get tracked in.
5. Clean out your coffe maker. I use a mixture of vinegar and water to make a “pot of coffee” but be sure and run a full pot of fresh water through it before you make your next pot.
6. And since the winter months mean wet weather, now is the time to change those wiper blades on your car. While you’re at it check to see if it’s time for that next oil change and book that.
7. How long has it been since you cleaned out your medicine cabinet. Get rid of all the expired prescriptions – most pharmacies now have a free disposal service you can use. Make sure that all your active prescriptions have refills on them and if not contact your doctor to get them renewed before you need them and can’t get them refilled.
8. Oh, and the most obvious of all of them – Change all your clocks back an hour. That includes the microwave, oven, your car and don’t forget that alarm clock.
That’s it. Eight simple things that if you make each one a habit will make eight less things you have to worry about all year round.