Did you know that besides being the dog days of summer? August also has two special days in it. While you try to figure out what those days are I’m going to share 8 household organizing tasks that you can do inside the house so you can keep cool when the weather is sweltering outside.
- Television screens collect dust like a magnet! You can use the same cleaner and cloths that you use on your computer screens to clean your television screen. Make sure it’s been off for about five minutes before you start and wait 5 minutes for it to dry before you turn it back on.
- You probably know that hard water deposits build up and minerals from them can clog your shower heads. The easiest way that I know to clean them is to fill the bottom of a gallon size plastic bad with vinegar. Place it around the shower head and secure it with a rubberband. Leave it on overnight and bingo! The vinegar has cleaned it and removed the hard water deposits so that the water can flow through better.
- You know how your garbage disposal can start to smell after a while? I know two ways to freshen it up. You can use the same baking soda that you use to keep your refrigeration smelling fresh. Just pour some down while turning it on and running hot water down it. The other way is to put a couple of lemon rinds in it and turn it on. After they’ve been ground up run some cold water.
- You can clean out the drawer under your oven. I don’t know about you but that drawer tends to get droppings of burnt food in it. You can wipe it out or if you need to, use a vacuum to get everything.
- Do you have ceiling fans in your home? You can wrap an old pillowcase around the fan blades. Not only does it dust them but collects the dust in the case.
- How about throw rugs? Do you have any of those in the house? I do and pick them up and take them outside and then shake them out as hard as I can. Voila! Clean rugs and no mess in the house.
- Try freshening up your furniture. Dust the wooden legs, tops of tables and other smooth surfaces. To freshen up the cushions you can use some fabric spray to mist them as you turn/rotate them if they can be turned.
- This is the most important one – Get Rid of Clutter!!! Go through the house, room by room. Put everything in its correct place. Whether it’s clothing, dishes or anything else that isn’t in it’s proper place.
Okay, so have you figured out what those 2 special days are yet? August 15th is National Relaxation Day. Do whatever that means for you but get in some relaxation for yourself.
The other day is on August 22th and it’s National Be An Angel Day. Use this day to do something nice for someone else. It can be a family member or a complete stranger. Not only will it be helping someone less fortunate to feel better, but you will probably get more out of it than they will!